Wednesday 24 April 2019

Spanish Rice with Chickpeas

I needed something quick and easy for dinner and this fit the bill. I was able to toss everything in the InstantPot and set it to cook while I went out to pick up the Kidlet from school. Next time I think I'd add a bay leaf to the pot (and hopefully actually remember to serve it with lemon wedges), but other than that it was pretty good. I know it might be veering away from the "Spanish" theme a bit, but I also think a cinnamon stick would be nice in this.

The original recipe calls for artichoke hearts, but since I didn't have any on hand and TF finds them completely inedible anyway, I swapped them out for Brussels sprouts instead. I think the Brussels sprouts work decently well here, but they ended up overcooked and much softer than I would've liked. Next time I might steam them separately and then just toss them in at the end.

Spanish Rice with Chickpeas

Slightly adapted from Budget Byte$

Ingredients

  • 1 c. long-grain brown rice
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. smoked paprika1
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds, ground
  • 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1 tsp. dried onion
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder2
  • black pepper, ~20 grinds
  • 1 bay leaf (optional)
  • 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
  • 2 c. cooked chickpeas
  • 400mL diced tomatoes
  • 1 c. vegetable broth
  • 12 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
  • 1/4 c. fresh (flat-leaf) parsley
  • 1 lemon, cut into wedges

Directions

  1. Add rice, oil, paprika, cayenne, cumin, oregano, onion, garlic, pepper, and any optional spices to InstantPot or rice cooker and stir to coat.
  2. Drain and rinse chickpeas if necessary and add them to the pot.
  3. Add tomatoes, broth, and Brussels sprouts.
  4. Cover and cook. Use normal cooking cycle for rice cooker and allow to steam for 5-10 minutes after cook cycle ends or 18 minutes on high pressure with a 10 minute natural release for the InstantPot.
  5. Fluff rice and sprinkle with parsley.
  6. Serve with lemon wedges.



1 I actually ended up using some hot paprika I had on hand instead of the smoked paprika. Instead of adding cayenne as well as hot paprika, I just tossed in a little sweet paprika. I think smoked paprika would've been good if I'd had any easily to hand. Next time (since I probably still won't have any smoked paprika) I'd use a mix of hot paprika and ground Kashmiri chilies instead of the sweet paprika. Back
2 Next time I think I'd add a clove or two of fresh garlic either instead of or as well as the powder. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment