Tuesday 22 May 2018

Banana-Oat Pancakes

While I haven't actually sat down and worked out the nutritional information, based on the ingredient list, this pancakes look much healthier and more virtuous than your traditional buttermilk pancake. They have whole grain and fruit built right in and no added sugar or fat. That's gotta count for something, right?

Although you can give these the standard pancake treatment and douse them in maple syrup, I've found that my favourite way to have them is actually slathered with a generous quantity of plain Greek yogurt and drizzled with a bit of honey. (Spread with Nutella comes in at a close second.) I haven't gotten around to trying them with dulce de leche yet, but I suspect that would be quite excellent as well.

Banana-Oat Pancakes

Slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients

  • 2 large, ripe bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 c. quick oats
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 large egg1
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 c. whole wheat flour2
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. sliced strawberries (optional)

Directions

  1. Stir oats and salt into mashed bananas.
  2. Add cinnamon and egg, followed by baking powder.
  3. Stir in the flour, then thin out the batter with milk.
  4. If using strawberries (or other inclusions), they can be stirred in now.
  5. Lightly oil a pan and pre-heat it over medium-low3 heat.
  6. Dump several 1/4-c. blobs of batter into the hot pan, flattening slightly if they look like they need it.
  7. Cook until you start seeing small bubbles in the batter, then flip and cook the other side until edges look dry.



1 I ended up using two eggs the second time around because my eggs were quite small. The batter came out a little thinner than the first time around and tasted a bit less biscuit-y4, but was otherwise the same. Back

2 I used all-purpose whole wheat flour because that's what I had easily to hand, but I think plain/pastry/soft whole wheat flour would work just as well here, if not better! Back

3 I usually cook pancakes on medium heat (or even medium-high on occasion). I made the mistake of attempting to cook these ones on medium and ended up with several burnt pancakes. Deb was right: medium-low is definitely the way to go! Back

4 I use "biscuit" here in the American sense of the word. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment