Friday 7 July 2017

Maple-Dijon Glazed Ham with Brown Sugar Crust

(note: symbol wrote this, I'm just posting it)

Found a smoked ham in the freezer that had come out of its butcher's paper and was getting a bit freezer burned. Figured I might as well throw it on the grill with whatever veggies we had on hand and call it a dinner.
The link is to the recipe I used as a guide.

3-4 lb. smoked ham (didn't weigh it but giving it a heft, I'd put it at ~3 lbs.)
1/2 c. maple syrup
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. rum (would've used bourbon if we'd had any on hand)
1 Tbsp. mustard (I used some of my home-made Roman-style mustard)
1 whole clove, ground
3/4 c. brown sugar

1. Pre-heat your grill and set it up for indirect heat. Since my ham was pretty dried out, I also tossed a roast pan full of water on the direct heat side of the grill to add a little steam. If you've got a nice, fresh ham you probably don't need to bother with the water/steam. I started my grill out fairly hot (~500F) but dailed it down to 300F or so once the meat was actually on.
2. Combine the maple syrup, butter, rum, mustard, and ground cloves.
3. Once the meat's had a couple hours on the grill, heat up the glaze to melt the butter.
4. Brush the ham all over with the glaze. Cook for 10 minutes or so, then give it another coat, press on the brown sugar, and cook for another 20-30 minutes. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment