Saturday, 1 August 2026

Ham and Cheese Pasta Salad

Today is a day for nostalgia food. And I recently ran across a Pioneer Woman recipe that reminded me of a childhood favourite of mine. Her recipe was a bit more involved than I remember mine being, but it was still clearly in the same genus. I'm pretty sure the version that I grew up with was just ham, cheese, mayo, and pasta (preferably shells). The PW recipe adds mustard, peas, parsley, yogurt, lemon juice, honey, olive oil, bell pepper, and green onions. I thought the mustardd and peas sounded like excellent additions. The parsley and green onions gave a bit of extra green, so I also tossed them in. And the yogurt was a way to lighten it up a bit, so I decided to use that as well. I decided to leave out the olive oil and honey. But I did like the idea of a bit of extra acidity from the lemon juice, so I put that in too. I think the bell pepper would also be nice. (And possibly something that was also included in my childhood version. I just can't quite remember anymore.) But I left it out since I didn't want to poison Reiver.


Ham and Cheese Pasta Salad

Adapted from Pioneer Woman

Ingredients

  • 450g small shell or macaroni pasta
  • 1 1/2 c. frozen peas
  • 3/4 c. mayonnaise
  • 1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt
  • 3 Tbsp. yellow mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/4 c. chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 225g mild cheddar, cubed
  • 225g ham, cubed
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped (optional)
  • 3-4 green onions, sliced thin

Directions

  1. Boil the pasta until al dente, then add peas and boil for 1 minute longer. Drain.
  2. Stir together mayo, yogurt, mustard, lemon juice, parsley, and pepper in a large bowl.
  3. Mix in the pasta and peas, cheese, ham, bell pepper (if using), and green onions.
  4. Salad may be served immediately, but is best after it has chilled for several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment