Wednesday 2 October 2024

Kielbasa, Arugula, and Gouda Scrambled Eggs

I wanted something a bit special, but still relatively quick and easy for TF's birthday breakfast. There are lots of options in that vein, of course, but being me, I also had a preference for trying something new.

Since we still had some eggs and the recipe wasn't too complicated otherwise, I decided to give these scrambled eggs a go. They came out very nicely. Although I think I might actually reduce the kielbasa and increase the arugula somewhat next time. But that's more about watching my weight than anything else. The balance of flavours was fine. I just think it would have been just as good (and slightly healthier) with less meat and more veg.



Kielbasa, Arugula, and Gouda Scrambled Eggs

Slightly adapted from The Breakfast Bible by Kate McMillan

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil1
  • 1 shallot, halved and thinly sliced
  • 150g kielbasa2, halved and sliced
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1/8 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/8 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 30-40g gouda, grated
  • 30-40g arugula

Directions

  1. Heat olive oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the shallot and kielbasa and cook, stirring frequently, until shallot is softened (~5 minutes).
  3. Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the milk, salt, and pepper and set aside.
  4. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the butter.
  5. Once butter is melted, pour in the egg mixture.
  6. Allow eggs to cook for 1-2 minutes without stirring.
  7. Gently stir and cook until eggs are mostly set (~3 minutes longer).
  8. Add the gouda and arugula, stir to combine.
  9. Cook for 1 more minute, then serve.



1 The original recipe called for 2 Tbsp. of oil. I cut it back to 1 Tbsp., but, honestly, I think 1/2 Tbsp. would have been sufficient. Back
2 The original recipe called for 185g of kielbasa, which is what I used, but I think it would have been just as good with a little less. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment