Sunday 6 October 2019

Jook/Congee

I've been in a big breakfast rut lately. The problem is that I like lots of variety but also minimum effort. I'm not a morning person and I'm way too groggy first thing in the morning to actually do much in the way of cooking. This presents something of a problem.

Lately, I've been craving congee -- or jook, depending on where you're from -- for breakfast. I like the idea of something warm and savoury and comforting that isn't eggs. (Nothing against eggs, I just don't normally feel like actually cooking them for breakfast.) I flipped through a few different recipes before settling on what I was going to do for this batch.

My first stop was Eileen Yin-Fei Lo's Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking where I took a look at her recipe for bak jook or "white congee" and suggested accompaniments. This is a simple porridge of short-grain and glutinous white rice and water. All the seasonings and condiments are added at the table. She suggests salted (duck) eggs, fried peanuts, and fried noodles.

Next, I took a look at a short YouTube video featuring a jook with "lots of vegetables". It suggested including green onions, garlic, ginger, jalapeƱos, chicken, cabbage, snow peas, green beans, soy sauce, and sesame oil in your jook. They also made their version with brown, rather than white rice and topped it with cilantro.

And last, but not least, I had a gander at Budget Byte$ InstantPot jook recipe. They included garlic, ginger, chicken, shiitake mushrooms, and salt in their jook, which used jasmine rice as its base. And for toppings, they went with green onions, cilantro, chopped peanuts, soy sauce, and sesame oil.

Those three recipes gave me a pretty good base to work from to create my own custom congee tailored to my tastes. I ended up using short-grain brown rice as the base and using a mix of vegetable broth and water for the liquid component. I followed the suggestion of including some aromatics and mushrooms and added some green vegetables (based on what was on sale at the grocery store) right at the end of cooking. Condiment-wise, I went with fried onions, sesame seeds, fried noodles, light soy sauce, and Laoganma (spicy chili crisp). There would've been fried peanuts as well if I hadn't burned them. And hard-boiled eggs if I hadn't forgotten them.



InstantPot Jook

Adapted from Budget Byte$ (and a couple others)

Ingredients

  • 1 c. short-grain brown rice
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2.5cm (1") knob of ginger, peeled and sliced
  • 200-250g cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 6-8 pieces dried black fungus, crumbled
  • 2 c. vegetable broth
  • 5 c. water
  • 50g pea shoots (or other vegetable of choice)
  • 170-200g snow peas (or other vegetable of choice), cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 2-3 scallions, sliced

Condiments1 (Optional)

  • Laoganma (spicy chili crisp)
  • sesame seeds (preferably toasted)
  • chopped peanuts
  • light soy sauce
  • fried onions
  • fried noodles
  • boiled eggs (hard or soft)
  • salted eggs2
  • fresh cilantro, chopped
  • salt and pepper

Directions

  1. Measure rice into InstantPot.
  2. Place garlic and ginger on top, along with fresh and dried mushrooms.
  3. Add vegetable broth and water.
  4. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
  5. Leave on "keep warm" until ready to serve3.
  6. About 5-10 minutes before serving, stir in the pea shoots, snow peas, and scallions.
  7. Serve with whatever condiments you prefer.

This is an incredibly flexible recipe. Feel free to vary, increase, or reduce the inclusions based on what you find appealing or what's available and/or on sale.
Other inclusions that I think might go well:
  • cabbage, shredded
  • Brussels sprouts, quartered
  • bok choy (especially Shanghai bok choy)
  • gai lan
  • broccolini
  • carrots, grated
  • sugar snap peas (mangetouts)
  • tofu
  • shiitake mushrooms (fresh or dried)
  • dried black mushrooms4



1 I didn't end up using all of these condiments. This is just a list of suggestions and ideas. Feel free to mix-and-match as you see fit. Back
2 You can buy salted duck eggs but Eileen Yin-Fei Lo advises against this. She recommends making your own at home. I haven't tried this yet. I'll do a write-up if when I do. In the meantime, I'm happy with adding plain (unsalted) hard-boiled eggs to my congee. Back
3 You can cook your congee the night before and just leave it on "keep warm" overnight. Back
4 Not to be confused with "black fungus". Black mushrooms look like pretty typical mushrooms and rehydrate to a chewy texture. Black fungus, meanwhile, is a shelf fungus, if I remember correctly. Its form factor is more of a thin, crinkly sheet, black on top and white/cream on the underside. It rehyrates into slippery sheets that are normally julienned to make thin, jelly-tough, wobbly matchsticks. If I forget to rehydrate my black fungus ahead of time, I just crumble it and mix it into the liquid component of whatever I'm cooking. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment