Sunday, 28 June 2026

Slow Cooker Bolognese

It's been a bit over a month since I made this, so I'm hoping that I can remember all the changes I made. The base recipe was fine, but the flavour was a bit flat, so I did end up tweaking it a bit just to punch things up a notch.

Slow Cooker Bolognese

Adapted from Pioneer Woman

Ingredients

  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1-2 carrots, grated
  • 1-2 onions, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 c. tomato paste
  • 1/2 c. red wine
  • 1kg lean ground beef
  • 1 1/2 c. whole milk
  • 1 large (800mL) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 Tbsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 Tbsp. dried basil
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1 Parmesan rind (optional)
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. dark soy
  • 2 tsp. light soy
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar

Directions

  1. Heat olive oil over medium heat.
  2. Add celery, carrots, and onions and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until softened (~10 minutes).
  3. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook until fragrant (3-4 minutes).
  4. Add the red wine and cook until mostly evaporated.1
  5. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, cook the ground beef and season with salt and pepper.
  6. Stir the milk into the beef and cook until mostly absorbed.
  7. Add the beef to the slow cooker along with the tomatoes, oregano, basil, thyme, pepper flakes, and parmesan rind (if using).
  8. Cover and cook on low for 6-12 hours.
  9. Taste and add sugar, soy sauces, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar if needed.

1 If you have an InstantPot, then these steps can be done on the sauté setting. Otherwise, transfer veggie mixture to slow cooker once this step is complete. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment