Sunday 4 February 2024

Kibbeh Labaniyeh (Kibbeh in Yogurt Sauce)

There are tonnes of different varieties of kibbeh out there. The authors suggest a deep fried, pine nut and ground beef stuffed kibbeh to go with this sauce. I did not have the time or energy to make the kibbeh from scratch, so I heated up some ready-made chickpea and spinach stuffed frozen kibbeh and just spooned a bit of this sauce over them.

I was skeptical about a three-ingredient sauce made of yogurt, broth, and egg, but it was honestly really nice and worked very well with the kibbeh. I think my biggest complaints were that it made way too much for the number of kibbeh we had and that it was a bit too runny for our personal preferences. Still good though!



Kibbeh Labaniyeh

From Our Syria by Itab Azzam and Dina Mousawi

Ingredients

  • 3 c. plain yogurt
  • 2 1/2 c. vegetable or chicken stock
  • 1 large egg
  • 15-20 kibbeh
  • rice or bulgur, to serve

Directions

  1. Combine the yogurt, stock, and egg and blend1 thoroughly.
  2. Heat the sauce over very low heat, stirring constantly, until it boils. If it curdles, blend it again.
  3. Pour the sauce over the cooked kibbeh and serve with rice.



1 Itab and Dina suggest doing this in a blender, but I just used a whisk because I didn't want to dirty the blender. An immersion blender would probably be a good option, I just didn't think of it at the time. Back

No comments:

Post a Comment