Monday 6 March 2023

Skillet-Roasted Green Beans

I've been meaning to make this bean recipe for over a week now. Originally I was just going to do it with frozen beans. Then, since I still hadn't gotten around to making it yet, I figured I might as well toss some nice fresh green beans into my produce basket for the week. Now those beans have been sitting in the fridge for almost a week and I still hadn't cooked them yet. Until today! I finally got it done!

Because I'm trying to be a bit calorie-wise, I cut back the oil and cheese a little. Honestly, I think I could've gotten away with cutting them back even more! Even with 2/3 the quantity of oil called for, I still felt it was a little too much. I think 1/3 of the oil called for would've been plenty. And, while the cheese is completely delicious and I would've loved to have had twice as much, I think that 10 or 15g would probably have been sufficient. (The recipe below reflects both of these changes.)



Skillet-Roasted Green Beans with Pecorino Romano

Slightly adapted from Cook's Country February/March 2021

Ingredients

  • 340g green beans, trimmed
  • 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. water
  • 1/4 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 1 small red onion, halved and sliced thin
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 15g Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler

Directions

  1. Add beans, oil, water, salt, and pepper to pan, cover, and cook over medium-high heat, shaking pan occasionally, for ~7 minutes.
  2. Stir beans and cook, uncovered, for another 4 minutes.
  3. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes.
  4. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
  6. Sprinkle with cheese shavings and serve.



Variations

Skillet-Roasted Green Beans with Bacon, Black Bean Garlic Sauce, and Tahini

Ingredients

  • 340g green beans, trimmed
  • 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 3 Tbsp. water, divided
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns, ground
  • 1 small red onion, halved and sliced thin
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. black bean garlic sauce
  • 1/2 Tbsp. tahini
  • 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
  • 2 Tbsp. crumbled bacon

Directions

  1. Add beans, oil, 2 Tbsp. of the water, and pepper to pan, cover, and cook over medium-high heat, shaking pan occasionally, for ~7 minutes.
  2. Stir beans and cook, uncovered, for another 4 minutes.
  3. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes.
  4. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, black bean garlic sauce, and remaining 1 Tbsp. of water.
  6. Drizzle with tahini and sprinkle with sesame seeds and crumbled bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment