I had a busy day of moving boxes and furniture today, so I wanted something easy for dinner. I decided to throw together this simple curry and serve it with rice and dal. It worked out quite well! Even if I didn't make it quite to spec. (My shrimp were much smaller than what Iyer calls for and frozen rather than fresh.)
Jhinga Vindaloo
Slightly adapted from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer
Ingredients
- 1/4 c. vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds, ground
- 1 tsp. ground cayenne or Kashmiri chilies
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 10 raw cashews, ground
- 450g large shrimp (32-40 per kilo), peeled and deveined
- 1-2 Tbsp. oil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Directions
- Combine vinegar, coriander, cumin, cayenne, salt, turmeric, and ground cashews and stir to form a paste.
- Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and chill for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp (reserving any residual marinade), and sear for 1 minute on each side.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add any remaining marinade, and cook until shrimp is pink, opaque, and curled.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
No comments:
Post a Comment