Saturday 7 September 2024

Waffles Bostock

I've been craving waffles for the last couple days. Conveniently, I am still working my way through the waffle cookbook. Somewhat less conveninetly, the only recipes I have yet to make from it are the dessert waffles (and a few of the toppings). I know that I could just revisit one of the earlier recipes, but where would be the fun in that?!

These waffles Bostock certainly make for a decadent option, but they are reasonably quick and easy to make. They basically answer the question: What if we replaced the pastry of a Bakewell tart with waffles?

Yanagihara suggests using either basic, buttermilk, or malted waffles as the base for this offering. My sourdough starter really needed some TLC though, so I opted for a sourdough waffle instead. Honestly, I think this approach worked out even better. The frangipane is very rich and both it and the jam are quite sweet, so having a relatively lean, whole wheat waffle with a bit of a sour tang to it helped to balance the flavours out a bit. I mean, I'm sure the other options would've been fine, but I actually really liked how the sourdough waffles worked out.



Waffles Bostock

Slightly adapted from Waffles: Sweet, Savory, Simple by Dawn Yanagihara

Ingredients

  • 100g ground almonds (almond flour)
  • 100g sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. coarse sea salt, ground
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. almond extract
  • 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
  • 4 sourdough waffles (or other waffle of your choice)
  • 6-8 Tbsp. jam1 (preferably raspberry, strawberry, cherry, or apricot)
  • sliced almonds, glacé cherries, and/or maraschino cherries, to serve

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
  2. Combine ground almonds, sugar, and salt and mix well, breaking up any lumps.
  3. Mix in the egg, vanilla, and almond extract.
  4. Add the butter and mix well.
  5. Place the waffles on a baking sheet.
  6. Spread 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp. of jam onto each waffle.
  7. Spoon ~1/4 of the frangipane (almond mixture) onto each waffle and spread into an even layer.
  8. Top each waffle with ~2 Tbsp. of sliced almonds and/or a glacé cherry (if using).
  9. Bake at 200°C (400°F) until frangipane is set (10-15 minutes).
  10. Add a maraschino cherry to each waffle (if using/desired).
  11. Optionally sprinkle with a little icing sugar before serving.
1 We ended up using strawberry jam for two of the waffles and spread the other two with some of my dad's homemade red currant jelly! Back

No comments:

Post a Comment