Thursday 27 December 2018

Fried Onion (for Indian Cooking)

I have to admit, I almost never bother doing my own fried onion from scratch. We live right around the corner from an Indian grocery store, so it's easy enough to just get a big bag of fried onion and keep it in the fridge. They're good on pretty much everything, so we always have some on hand. Occasionally I will do a batch of Chinese-style fried onions if I need the onion-infused oil for something. But, other than that, I have to admit, I rely entirely on store-bought fried onions. If, however, you're not lucky enough to live near an Indian grocery store, here's how Iyer recommends making your own fried onions.

Fried Onion

Adapted from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer

Ingredients

  • 1 c. thinly sliced onion
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1/4 c. canola (or other neutral) oil

Directions

  1. Toss sliced onion with cornstarch to coat.
  2. Heat canola oil over medium heat.
  3. Fry onion until crisp.
  4. Remove from pan and spread on paper towel-lined plate to cool.
  5. Refrigerate until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment